The Weekly Challenge, 8th April 2019 – Seen My Zine?8th April 2019
Calling all the Do It Yourself-ers out there, this week’s Challenge is set by artist Steve Chapman (Welcome back, Steve!), who invites you to warm up your cutting, sticking, making, writing and thinking muscles…we are creating!
This is a challenge to create an 8 page Zine to tell a story, explain a concept, or reflect on something. It can be anything you want. A Zine is a mini DIY magazine, that is easily self published and circulated. It is inspired by the idea that if you’re not seeing, reading and hearing the media you want around you, make it yourself! There is also a chance to win one of 5 of Steve’s new ‘Stiff Upper Lip’ stickers for sharing your work – see more details below.
The great thing about a zine is that it uses the power of constraint to stimulate creativity. In the same way that a haiku poem uses the constraints of 5-7-5 syllables per line, you only have 8 pages in which to express what you want to express and a small space in which to do so.
- You will need A4 paper, scissors and pen/pencil/paints/whatever you like
- Create a zine by folding and cutting the paper (instructions below)
- Draw your zine. You may want to tell the story of your day. Tell the story of your life. Make up a story. Explore a concept. Teach somebody something. Make a stand for something that’s important to you.
Some zine making tips
- Less is more.
- Keep it simple.
- Aim for no more than 1 sentence per page.
- Assume that the reader has a maximum of 1 minute in which to read it.
- Play with colours, styles, materials
- Embrace the constraint.
Here are some fabulous examples of the zines that @stevexoh has created: http://www.somethingsidid.com/zines – check them out, and see instructions on how to make your own below.
If you have more time …
Film your zine and share it with the world – see Steve’s example films here.
How did you choose your topic? Author Jodie Jackson says ‘You are what you read’, What media do you choose to digest – and what would you like to see more of?
Win one of Steve’s new ‘Stiff Upper Lip’ stickers by sharing your work using #64MillionArtists #SeenMyZine. There are 5 up for grabs! We will randomly select the winners at the end of the week and be in touch.